The husband poured a whole cup (a very large cup, mind you) of sunflower shells down the kitchen sink, expecting the garbage disposal to take care of things. I have discovered in my experiences with disposal systems that there are some items that should just go in the trash (or the compost bin, if one is not too lazy or afraid of the dark to go out to the backyard). They are as follows:
- potato peels
- carrot peels
- cucumber peels (unless they are small cucumbers)
- squash peels
- lemon peels (unless you cut them first)
- apple peels
- walnut shells (yes, I tried to put them down the drain once)
- dish rags
- banana peels
- kiwi peels
- parmesan rinds (should save these for soups next time)
- Recently Added: sunflower shells
Based on this list, I would deduce that the exterior of any food item should not go down the drain.
In other news, yoga has gone down the drain.