Interesting fun fact: this is my 300th entry on this blog.
It’s fun having something new in your practice to look forward to, although I was sure that the ticktocks would be all tick and no tock when I woke up this morning.
There’s a aching deep in my right hip, just under the bone. Don’t really know what all that’s about, but in backbending this morning, I was really forcing all the bend up into my shoulders and upper back and out of my lower back to avoid that pain. I tried a few drop backs, those were easy, nice, slow, controlled. But standing up was touchy. I took a step or two on my first two. The third was better, I focused on lifting through my chest all the way up so that my head came up last. Then I stepped my feet to the back of the mat for a down dog. As I suspected, the first half was easy. Push up into handstand, slowly let the feet come down… but then CRASH they land like a ton of bricks in Urdva Dhanurasana. Must remember to keep the bandhas engaged the entire time, as I think I forgot. Must also remember to BREATHE as I thought I’d pass out after three ticktocks. After landing in a backbend, it took me a few hops to figure out how to arch through my upper back to get my feet off the floor and back into a handstand. Then back down to downdog.
NEED HELP: I forgot the sequence. I should have written it down or something when it was taught to me. Okay, so I think it’s: 3 ticktocks back and forth (from downdog to handstand to backbend, kick back up into handstand, then back to downdog). 3 ticktocks to standing (from downdog to handstand to backbend to stand-up). Then vrschikasana. From vrschikasana, do I flip over to backbend? Or come back into a handstand and drop to chaturanga? I forget.
And now for some pathetic whining. I think I’m the only person in the world who can’t jump through with straight legs. And while 90% of the time I’m able to convince myself that I don’t care, that it doesn’t matter, I guess it does, because the other 10% of the time I look around at all the pretty people jumping through with straight legs and I just don’t get why I can’t do it. What the hell. Okay, end of pathetic whining. At least I can jump back if I really want to. But most times I touch a toe or two down. Gotta save energy for ticktocks now.
David and Andrea resume teaching on the 6th, and you can bet I’ll be there with the masses, so excited to see them again. Here’s a beautiful pic of Andrea at Guruji’s 91st birthday party, courtesy of Govinda Kai. And one of David as well.
I think I mentioned a few weeks ago that the owner of the yoga studio that I practice at by my lonesome in the mornings had asked me to teach again. She wants me to teach a beginning ashtanga class and one led primary class each week. I was hemming and hawing, but it’s been nagging at the back of my mind every time I complain about the lack of an ashtanga community here in San Luis Obispo. My doubts are valid, I know. I don’t feel I have enough experience as a student to teach others. I’ve only been practicing Ashtanga for a few years. I take a pretty traditional approach with the ashtanga method, and teaching it without authorization feels… a little weird.
I’ve spoken to three instructors about this on three separate occasions. Each of them listened to what I had to say, but then each said something to the effect of, “A community has to start somewhere.” Sort of an “If you build it they will come” promise of sorts. None of them intimated in any way that I shouldn’t teach. I’d like to also speak to David about this and see what he has to say.
Anne mentioned that if you’re asked to teach, if you’re approached, then there’s a need for it, then it’s right. Then it always works out. That really pulled at me, as I hadn’t even mentioned that I was asked, or that I had taught before. I had only mentioned that there was no ashtanga community where I lived, and she asked why I didn’t teach a class.
I’ve asked my friend (the studio owner) what time slots she had in mind for each class. I know she wanted to keep led primary where it was before, Sundays at 10:40, but I said that I won’t teach at this time, as I still need to have the freedom to drive down to Santa Barbara on Sunday mornings in order to practice with my instructors.
Next Sunday, I might drive down to Ashtanga Yoga Santa Barbara and take their beginning ashtanga class, just for an idea on how they teach it. Then I’ll decide whether or not I want to teach one here in San Luis Obispo. I’ve got a few weeks to prepare, as the new schedule at the Yoga Centre wouldn’t start until September 1st.
At this point in time, there’s only two things that would stop me from taking on a class or two:
1. The time slot of the classes, whether they work with my schedule or not.
2. What David has to say. If he thinks it’s a bad idea, or if he’s opposed, then I’d definitely think twice.
In the meantime, I’ll continue with my inner conflict.